Wounded Warrior Programs

Wounded Warrior Programs

The military's wounded warrior programs provide assistance and advocacy for severely wounded, ill, and injured service members, veterans, and their families. These programs assist service members and their families as they return to duty or transition to civilian life.

What are wounded warrior programs and what support do they provide?
Each of the individual branches of service operates a wounded warrior program to assist service members and their families with non-medical issues associated with the transition back to duty or to civilian life. The wounded warrior programs work with the service member and his or her medical team to develop a comprehensive recovery plan that addresses specific recovery, rehabilitation, and reintegration goals. These programs provide lifetime support for the service member; eligibility for participation in the program does not conclude when the service member is discharged from a military treatment facility. Typical non-medical support provided by the wounded warrior programs may include, but is not limited to, assistance with the following:

  • Pay and personnel issues
  • Invitational travel orders
  • Lodging and housing adaptations for the wounded warrior
  • Child and youth care arrangements
  • Transportation needs
  • Legal and guardianship issues
  • Education and training benefits
  • Respite care
  • Traumatic brain injury/post-traumatic stress support services

Who is eligible to receive services through the wounded warrior programs?
Eligibility for wounded warrior programs is not limited to those with combat injuries; these programs also assist those battling serious illnesses or who are injured in accidents. Generally, the military wounded warrior programs support service members who incur a serious illness or injury requiring long-term care that may result in a Medical Evaluation Board/Physical Evaluation Board to determine fitness for duty.

How do I enroll in the wounded warrior program?
Enrollment in the program varies by branch of service.

  • Army. Soldiers and veterans who meet the eligibility requirements and are not currently enrolled in the program should contact the Army Wounded Warrior Call Center for assistance.
    Nationwide (toll-free): 877-393-9058
    Overseas DSN: 312-221-9113
    Email: AW2@conus.army.mil
  • Marine Corps. Requests for assignment to a Wounded Warrior Regiment element can be initiated by the parent command, medical officer, medical case manager, WWR Detachment Officer-in-Charge, or the WWR Operations section. For more information on the referral process, you can contact the WWR Call Center.
    Nationwide (toll-free): 877-487-6299
  • Navy. Enrollment in Navy Safe Harbor is voluntary. Sailors and Coast Guardsmen may self-refer to the program or be referred by a family member, their command leadership, or their medical team. For questions on enrollment eligibility, contact Navy Safe Harbor.
    Nationwide (toll-free): 877-746-8563
    Email: safeharbor@navy.mil
  • Air Force. Eligible airmen should contact the Air Force Wounded Warrior Program Office. The Air Force has no minimum disability rating requirement for the AFW2 program, as long as the injury/illness is combat/hostile related requiring long-term care that will require an MEB/PEB to determine fitness for duty.
    Nationwide (toll-free): 800-581-9437 
    Email: afwounded.warrior@randolph.af.mil

Where can I find more information on the wounded warrior programs?
Each branch of service has its own Wounded Warrior program to assist severely injured service members. The following provides links to the individual branches of services’ Wounded Warrior programs.

  • Army Wounded Warrior. The AW2 program provides personalized recovery services for severely injured soldiers throughout their lifetimes, wherever they are located. The AW2 program educates soldiers on their options to remain in the Army and the application process if they choose to do so. It also provides assistance with defining future career plans beyond the Army, obtaining Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, obtaining health care for soldiers and their families after retiring from the Army, financial counseling, and ensuring that severely injured soldiers receive all of the awards they have earned. 
  • Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Regiment. The Marine Corps Wounded Warrior Regiment provides and facilitates assistance to wounded, injured or ill Marines or sailors attached to or in support of Marine units and their family members throughout the phases of recovery. Depending on the geographic location of the wounded, injured or ill service member, services within the Wounded Warrior Regiment are provided through the Wounded Warrior Battalion East or the Wounded Warrior Battalion West.
  • Navy Safe Harbor. The Navy Safe Harbor program provides personalized support and assistance to injured sailors and their families by providing educational information on injuries, assistance with home accommodations, transportation accommodations, workplace accommodations, education and job training, personal and family counseling, child care information, and information and assistance for financial and benefit issues. 
  • Air Force Wounded Warrior. The AFW2 program provides support for airmen that have a combat or hostile-related injury or illness requiring long-term care. The program works hand-in-hand with the Air Force Survivor Assistance Program and Airman & Family Readiness Centers to ensure airmen receive professional support and care from the point of injury to no less than five years after separation or retirement. More information is available at http://www.woundedwarrior.af.mil/
  • Military OneSource. Military OneSource provides wounded warrior specialty consultation services. Through this service, callers can access immediate assistance to wounded warriors and their families with issues related to health care, facilities or benefits. The specialty consultants work collaboratively with the services’ wounded warrior programs and the VA to ensure callers are promptly connected to resources that can help address their needs. To reach a consultant call 800-342-9647. Additional information is also available on the https://www.militaryonesource.mil/


Military Onesource